The Jormungand (Midgard) and Julunggul (Rainbow) serpents sit between 2 worlds; the old world that needed and revered them and the present which has shunned such monsters as fears metamorphosed into mythical form. The two 50-foot kinetic mobile sculptures are rendered in metal and cast off materials using modern science; restoring ancient mythos to the modern world.
Dark and with the power of fire, the serpent Jormungand winds his way through the landscape. Bright and with the light of the earth, the Julunggul serpent slithers to meet with her dark twin. They both have a function within mythology. The earth was shaped by Jormungand, who threatened to swallowed it and all it contains in a fit of anger. Man’s champion Thor, was able to trick Jormungand into biting his own tail and encircling the earth to stop the serpent from ending everything with his fearsome anger seething in the depths of the ocean. Julunggul the bright keeper of knowledge helps the denizens of the world by swallowing boys and spitting them out as men, completing their rite of passage.
The Jormungand (Midgard) and Julunggul (Rainbow) serpents sit between 2 worlds; the old world that needed and revered them and the present which has shunned such monsters as fears metamorphosed into mythical form. Our present world has left behind these harbingers of destruction and physical embodiments of “the ultimate task” (usually the task of slaying such beasts) as so much fantasy. Much as a child puts away his imaginary playthings when they become an adult, the dreadful serpent that exists in so many of the world’s cultures’ myths has been put aside. All these now modern civilizations went through this same rite of passage; that of dismissing myth and legend to depend merely on science and fact. Our two serpents will render in metal and cast off materials these mythical beasts by using modern science; restoring ancient mythos to the these steel beasts.
2016-07Les Machines de l’île 10e anniversaire | Nantes (France)
2015-05Maker Faire San Mateo
2015-01Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Inauguration
2014-05Maker Faire San Mateo
2013-09Starlight Gala Chabot Space and Science Center
2013-12Lucas Films Holiday Party
2013-08Burning Man Honorarium
2013-05Maker Faire San Mateo
2013-04California Academy of Sciences
2012-08Burning Man Honorarium
2012-05Maker Faire San Mateo
2011-08Burning Man Honorarium
- PerformanceSpeed:9 mph | 14.4 km/hRange:20 miles | 32 kmLoad Capacity:600 lbs | 272 kgTow Capacity:2,000lbs | 909 kgPassengers:2
- DimensionsWeight:1200lbs | 545kg (white head):1300lbs | 590kg (black head):650lbs | 295kg (white body):825lbs | 374kg (black body)Length:50ft | 15.24mWidth:48in | 122cmHeight:41.5in | 105.4cmOutside Turning Radius:75in | 190.5cmWheel Base:53.5in | 135.9cm
- ChassisFrame Construction:Steel unitized body:Heavy duty 16 gauge diamond platePowertrain Type:ElectricPower:110V 50/60Hz (charger)Transmission:Transaxle Assembly:Sealed Helical Gear ReductionDrive Controller:SeriesBattery Type:8x 6V 217A/hr (lead acid) Trojan T105Plus:1x 12V U-1System Voltage:24VCharger:Built-In:12A in head:25A in tail (Honda 2000EU Generator)Brakes:Rear: Mechanical Drum:Front: N/A:Parking: FootSuspension:Rear: Coil springs:Front: Coil springsSteering:Manual + Tiller + Front ForkTires:Rear: 4.80 x 8 Pneumatic:Front: 4.80 x 8 Load Range B, Pneumatic
- Instrumentation:Battery discharge indicator:Forward/reverse selector:Key switch:Electric horn:DC/DC Converter:>24V to 5V + 24V to 12V
- Network:Ubiquiti Bullet M2-HP:Ubiquiti Bullet M5-HP:Network Switch
- Lighting:Total Control Lighting:Beagle Board:Serpent Charmer custom network boards, PSOC by Cypress:Midi controller
- Sound:Meyer Sound: 4x MM-4XP:Pioneer Car Audio System::18in sub + 2x 6in + 2x 6in x 9in:SONOS Connect with Tablet controls:NAS drive with Sound Library + Music
- Note:Vehicle specifications subject to change without notice